Manchester United are said to have begun unexpected transfer negotiations with Real Madrid in order to strengthen Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s offensive options.
Manchester United have already considerably improved their offensive options after spending £73 million to recruit Jadon Sancho. This freed up director of football John Murtough to concentrate on the team’s defense. To that aim, Raphael Varane’s contract is likely to be finalized and completed this week.
However, speculation regarding how to further enhance United’s roster before the window closes is gaining traction. According to reports, Solskjaer was seeking to boost his full-back options, with Kieran Trippier being prominently linked. However, Tuesday’s Paper Talk revealed why that trail has now gone cold following the United boss’s change of heart.
Instead, there looks to be a tactical adjustment at Old Trafford this season. And it appears like Solskjaer intends to drop one of his defensive midfielders, perhaps Scott McTominay or Fred, to make room for another offensive midfielder.
Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial, Mason Greenwood, Dan James, Amad Diallo, and Sancho provide a variety of wide attacking options. Through the middle, though, United can only truly rely on Edinson Cavani, though Greenwood is also an option.
According to the Daily Express, United are now turning to Luka Jovic to bolster their options there.
The Serbia striker was recruited from Eintracht Frankfurt in a £52 million deal two summers ago. However, he has failed to acclimatize at the Bernabeu, scoring only twice in LaLiga.
Last season, he was permitted to return to Frankfurt on loan, where he scored four goals in 18 appearances.
Despite his difficulties, Solskjaer is said to be a great supporter of the 23-year-old. Furthermore, he has claimed that he wishes to assist Jovic in regaining his confidence and turning his career around at Old Trafford.
According to the report, United have begun negotiations with Real Madrid about signing him.
While no cost has been disclosed, AS reported earlier this month that Los Blancos would seek a trade for approximately £35 million.
Time will tell whether United pursues a potential move.
However, if they can get a player similar to the one that starred for Frankfurt in 2018/19, it might be a genuine coup.
Jovic is ready to follow Varane Should United make the transfer, he would be joined at Old Trafford by a familiar face in the form of Varane.
A contract to recruit the World Cup champion was confirmed on July 27 after an agreement for about £35 million was reached with Real Madrid.
Varane may be signed in time to make his Premier League debut against Leeds, according to Solskjaer.
However, as time passes, that looks increasingly unlikely.
The defender, on the other hand, has spoken out about the upcoming trade.
Varane shared a video of himself juggling a ball in a backyard with his almost 16 million Instagram followers.
It’s unclear whether Varane has found a place to live in Manchester or whether he’s staying at a club-owned residence.
The video was labeled with the location ‘Manchester, United Kingdom.’ Meanwhile, the defender shared the video with the caption ‘Quarantine practice!’ ‘ indicating that the relocation is still in effect.
Varane is now self-isolating owing to the government’s coronavirus travel restrictions.
The 28-year-old will be revealed as a Manchester United player as soon as his period of seclusion is finished.